Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine Department of Public Health
Address: Umuttepe Yerleşkesi Eski İstanbul Yolu 10. km. 41380 KOCAELİ
Head Of Department: (+90 262) 3037549
Department Secretariat: (+90 262) 3037556
Fax: (+90 262) 3037003
MEDİCAL EDUCATİON PROGRAMMES BEFORE GRADUATİON
Social Medicine Courses are given within the first comittee of Semester I.
|Total course hours: 25
|Theoretical courses: 16
|Practice courses: 9
The aim of the course
The aim of this course is to make students comprehend the social determinants of health and get knowledge about public health issues in Turkey and in the world.
Students are going to comprehend ;
- Definition of the concept of health and social determinants of health
- Identify the factors that determine the level of health in a society and their mechanisms of action.
- Current status of health in Turkey and in the world
- Turkey's health system
- Physicians' social responsibilities
- Scientific thinking and scientific method
Öztek, Zafer. Halk Sağlığı Kuramlar ve Uygulamalar. Ankara : Bireklam Arısı, 2020.
Çağatay Güler, Levent Akın (Ed.). Halk Sağlığı Temel Bilgiler. Ankara : Hacettepe Üniversitesi Yayınları, 2012.
Roger Detels, Martin Gulliford, Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Chorh Chuan Tan. Oxford Textbook of Global Public Health. 6. ed. Oxford University Press, 2015.
|Concept of health, community-health relationship
|Community health indicators
|Determinants of health
|Getting to know the community
|Social medicine and social responsibility of physicians
|Basic health services
|Healthcare system in Turkey
|Environment and health
|Occupation and health
|Culture and health
|Immigration and health
|Scientific method and philosophy of science
|City and health
|Countryside and health
PUBLIC HEALTH COMMITTEE
Public Health courses are given within the Community Health and Ethics Course Committee at the 7th Committee of Semester III.
|Total Course Hours: 96
|Theoretical Courses: 64
|Practice Courses: 32
Aim of the Course
The aim of this course is to teach students the basic concepts of public health and to get students to adopt the public health approach in identifying and solving public health problems.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to comprehend and be able to:
- Diagnose community health problems
- Produce solutions to the health problems of the community
- Evaluate the health system of a community
- Understand the principles of management of health services
- Identify the needs of vulnerable and risky groups in society
- Know the importance of providing health services equally and fairly without discrimination and acquire an attitude
- Apply the basic principles of preventive medicine
Introduction to Public Health, Health Services, Healthcare Management, Epidemiology (cross-sectional, case-control, cohort, experimental research), Research Planning, Demography, Social Health Indicators, Social Policies, Social Security Systems, Health Economics, Control of Contagious Diseases, Vaccination Services, Reproductive Health, Social Diseases (tuberculosis, malaria, AIDS etc.) War and Health, Migrations and Health, Control of Chronic Diseases, Environmental Health, Occupational Health and Occupational Safety, Community Nutrition, Health care in Disasters.
- Öztek, Zafer. Halk Sağlığı Kuramlar ve Uygulamalar. Ankara : Bireklam Arısı, 2020.
- Çağatay Güler, Levent Akın (Ed.). Halk Sağlığı Temel Bilgiler. Ankara : Hacettepe Üniversitesi Yayınları, 2012.
- Roger Detels, Martin Gulliford, Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Chorh Chuan Tan. Oxford Textbook of Global Public Health. 6. ed. Oxford University Press, 2015.
|Public health – Community health sciences
|Basic concepts in public health
|History of health services in Turkey
|Health economics: Definitions and concepts
|Inpatient treatment institutions
|Discrimination and health care
|Public health and advocacy
|Regional health services
|Health education and health literacy
|Globalization and health
|Nutritional problems in Turkey and in the World
|Nutrition and health relationship
|Social health indicators and inequalities
|Concepts in environmental health
|Climate change and health
|Outdoor air pollution
|Indoor air pollution
|Liquid and solid waste disposal
|Water and health
|Child and environment
|Primary health care for children
|Transportation and health
|Electromagnetic radiation and health
|Ionizing radiation and health
|Status and control of infectious diseases
|Introduction to epidemiology and research techniques
|Scientific method and the responsibilities of the scientist
|Research techniques and descriptive studies
|Pandemic history and control
|Health services in disasters
|The state of women's health in the world and in Turkey
|Women's health services
|Social diseases: malaria epidemiology
|Social diseases: tuberculosis, AIDS epidemiology
|Aging in terms of public health
|Epidemiology of chronic diseases
|Disability in terms of public health
|Violence as a public health problem
|Occupational health and safety: concepts and history
|Occupational life and OHS legislation in Turkey
|Health of healthcare workers
|Basic occupational health and safety services
|Special groups in occupational life (child workers, elderly workers)
|Special groups in occupational life (women workers, disabled workers)
|Accidents at work
|Preventive Medicine Courses
|Preventive medicine and endocrine problems in children
|Preventive mental health
|Preventive medicine and cardiovascular diseases
|Preventive medicine and nephrology
|Preventive medicine and dermatology
|Preventive medicine and physical medicine
|Preventive approaches in pediatric neurology
- Yuvacık Dam and Water Treatment Plant
- Izaydas Solid Waste Landfill
- Çenesuyu Water Filling Facilities
- Factory visit
- Family Health Centers
SEMESTER VI – PUBLIC HEALTH INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The general framework of our Rural Medicine Internship Program, which covers a 7-week period and is for the last year physician candidates of the Faculty of Medicine, is given below.
1. Theoretical Courses
The first week of the Rural Medicine Internship is devoted to theoretical courses with the aim of reviewing the basic issues in public health. These topics are;
- Health systems
- COVID-19 epidemiology and prevention
- Primary health care management
- Death notification system
- Occupational health and safety services
- Personal rights of health personnel
- Research techniques
- Research planning
- Health system in Turkey
- Water hygiene and environmental health services
- Notification and surveillance types of notifiable diseases
- Extended vaccination program
- Child health and Ministry of Health’s child follow-up protocol
- School health promotion
- Outbreak investigation
- Safe motherhood
- Prenatal care
- Family planning
2. District Health Directorate and Family Medicine Centers Rotation
During the period starting from the second week of the internship and lasting until the sixth week, physician candidates perform observations and practices alternately in Derince District Health Directorate and Izmit District Health Directorate Family Health units. Within the framework of these studies, they fill in the "Intern Physician Working File”. The district health directorate is visited with a lecturer, and information is obtained from the officials of the units affiliated to the directorate, questions related to the file are answered and predetermined topics are discussed.
3. School Health Unit Rotation
In Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine School Health Unit, primary school students' school entrance physical examinations and intermittent control examinations are carried out. School environmental audits are carried out and students are given health education about hygiene.
4. Healthy Life Center Rotation
During the internship period, interns go to the healthy life center for two days with a lecturer and get information about the preventive health services carried out within the institution. They participate in the practices conducted in the smoking cessation polyclinic, oral-dental health, reproductive health and KETEM (Cancer Early Diagnosis, Screening and Education Center) sub-units, which are within the scope of these services.
5. Group Works
During the internship, group studies are carried out with students on various subjects. The group studies determined and structured for each group are as follows;
- Personal rights and responsibilities of health personnel
- Outbreak investigation
- Situation of maternal and child health in Turkey
- Health services in extraordinary situations
During the internship, students are divided into 4 seminar groups to prepare and present seminars. For each seminar group, one advisor from the faculty members is determined. Seminar topics are primarily related to primary care, and from time to time, current issues related to health services and health policy are chosen as seminar topics.
7. Institutional Trips
Physician candidates visit health-related institutions, together with the instructor in charge of the internship. In these institutions, the function, legal responsibilities, administrative structure, formations of the managers, etc. of the relevant institution are discussed and observed with the responsible persons.
Interns plan and conduct a field study during the internship period. Research topics are selected from among the common public health problems in primary care. Interns are involved in the processes of literature review, data form preparation, data entry, data analysis and research report preparation under the supervision of the responsible lecturer. The research is presented in the department by the interns in the last week of the internship.
- 2021 October-November Intern Researchs
- 2021 August-September Intern Researchs
- 2019 July-August Intern Researchs
- 2019 January- February Intern Researchs
- 2019 March- April Intern Researchs
- 2018 March- April Intern Researchs
- 2018 January- February Intern Researchs
- 2017 November- December Intern Researchs
- 2017 September- October Intern Researchs
- 2016-2017 Intern Researchs
- 2015 Intern Researchs
- 2014 Intern Researchs
9. Forensic Medicine Services in Primary Care
A faculty member from Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Forensic Medicine gives lecture and group studies on forensic examination, autopsy, report writing etc. in group.
10. Health Services in Disaster Situations Module
It is a training module consisting of theoretical lectures and practical applications on basic concepts related to disaster situations, rapid health assessment, emergency health services in disasters, environmental health services and temporary shelters, nutrition, approach to infectious diseases and mental health. This module is carried out under the leadership of the faculty members of the Department of Public Health with the contributions of faculty members from the Departments of Emergency Medicine and Psychiatry.
Module Theoretical Courses
- Basic Concepts of Disaster Situations and Health
- Health Assessment and Rapid Assessment in Disaster Situations
- Risk Groups in Disaster Situations
- Emergency Health Services in Disasters (Sub-headings: triage, pre-hospital services, services provided in health facilities)
- Environmental Health Services and Temporary Shelters in Disaster Situations
- Nutrition in Disaster Situations
- Approach to Infectious Diseases in Disaster Situations
- Mental Health in Disaster Situations
Module Practical Applications
- Sample Rapid Assessment Study
- Temporary Shelter Planning After Disaster
- Water Hygiene
- Epidemic Investigation
- Scenario Based Triage and Emergency Response Examples
Public Health Specialization Education and Training
In the Public Health Specialization Education and Training program carried out at Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, in order to standardize and increase the quality of specialization education and training and to ensure that the evaluation of specialty students is made on objective criteria a "Training and Evaluation Dossier for Specialization Student" (assistant report card) is implemented based on KOÜ Medical Faculty Medical Specialization Students Education, Training and Exam Directive and Regulation on Specialization Training in Medicine and Dentistry (Published in the Official Gazette dated 18.07.2009). The dossier has been prepared to be used during the specialization training by the research assistants who were entitled to do specialization training in Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health after the Specialization Exam in Medicine and started to work in the Department.
Specialist training is carried out in the following scopes:
- Theoretical training
- Skills acquisition practices
- Training courses
- Research, paper, publication activities
- Participation in scientific events
- Active participation in activities in the Department
- Thesis work
Theoretical education methods are basically four headings:
- Core courses of "Theoretical Training Curriculum for Specialization Student" conducted for research assistants in the Department.
- Semester I, III, VI courses and Institute of Health Sciences Public Health Master program theoretical courses, institution trips, practices.
- Seminar and article programs.
- Training courses.
The specialization student takes the theoretical training core program in the first six months. The training program and the trainers are re-determined by the Department at the beginning of each theoretical training period. In addition, every specialization student must attend Semester I, III and VI Public Health courses and practices in the first year of his / her education. Seminar and article presentations and training courses are complementary to theoretical training. In addition, special day and week presentations about health and discussion of current public health problems in our region are among our educational activities.
The rotations required in accordance with the Regulation in Specialty Training are Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Pediatric Health and Diseases, Mental Health and Diseases, Chest Diseases. The dates of rotation of the specialization student are determined by the decision of the Academic Council of Department. At the end of the rotation, the rotation form is filled in by the relevant Department responsible academic and added to the file.
|Clinical Rotation Process
|Rotation Time / Month
|Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology
|Obstetrics and Gynecology
|Field Training **
- ** Applied Field Training Units
- District Health Directorate,
- Community Health Centers,
- Provincial Health Directorate and its affiliated units,
- Public Health Laboratory,
- Occupational Diseases Hospital and similar units
3.Skill Acquisition Practices
The specialization student must acquire the skills required by the specialization training at every stage of his / her education. These skills are acquired and approved under the supervision of those responsible during the implementation work.
Participation in training courses during specialization training is one of the activities that should be carried out by the student. Academic Committee of Departments decision is required for participation in courses. Course participation is documented.
Research, Notifications, Publication Activities
The residency student has to actively participate in all the activities carried out in the department during his residency training. Among these activities, research, paper and publication activities are especially important. The residency student should participate in the research conducted in the department during his/her residency training, contribute to the preparation of the paper and/or publication, and these contributions should be approved by the responsible academic, and their samples should be attached to the file.
Participation in Scientific Activities.
During his / her specialization, the student participates in the National Public Health Congresses, National Public Health Days and attends meetings concerning the Public Health field.
The Academic Committee’s decision is taken for participation and participation documents are added to the file.
Intern Physician Study File
• Professor.Dr. Çiğdem ÇAĞLAYAN (Head of the Department)