Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine, Medical Microbiology Department established by Recep BİNGÖL in 1995. Between the years of 1999-2007 Prof. Dr. Volkan DÜNDAR, between the years of 2007-2011 Prof. Dr. Recep BİNGÖL, between the years of 2011-2016 Prof. Dr. Aynur KARADENİZLİ was the head of the department. Since 2017, the head of the department is Fetiye KOLAYLI.
Medical Microbiology Department academic staff includes seven lecturers as six professor and an assistant professor;
Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine Medical Microbiology Department started to provide service in the laboratories of Sopalı SSK Hospital in 1995; Moved to the hospital building in Umuttepe area in 2005. Our department has developed over the years and has become a Medical Department with routine patient services as well as advanced molecular biology techniques, cell culture, monoclonal antibody production.
There are many different research laboratories in the Medical Microbiology, which is a multidisciplinary department; Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology, Parasitology and Immunology are held together in a common framework. In addition to routine patient service laboratories, there are also research laboratories where many different subjects are studied.
Education and Training:
Medical Microbiology (Clinical) Department trains for Specialist Training as Medical Doctor Assistant Programme, and for postgraduate and Ph.D as Ph.D programme.
In addition to Medical Students Training, Our Department trains for Faculty of Dentistry.
Medical Microbiology Department:
Our goal is that; In the field of Medical Microbiology,it is aimed to gain the theoretical knowledge and laboratory skills, to educate creative scientists respecting ethics and science who can produce solutions and technology in the line of the needs of the society and the country by using the knowledge and skills.
- To educate qualified scientists in the field of microbiology in the context of educational program covering classical and current information
- Successfully representing our country on international platforms by contributing universal science with the scientific studies in the field of Medical Microbiology taking into account the needs of the region and country.
To train scientists who can:
- Follow scientific developments
- Plan and carry out scientific studies by using the knowledge and skills acquired
- Transfer their knowledge and experiences to others
- Meet the health needs of the society, do independent researches
- improve the technological and innovation background of our country
Medical Microbiolgy Department Study Topics:
In addition to routine laboratory service, there are many research topics such as:
- Researching resistance genes and molecular typing of bacteria are hospital infection agent
- Francisella tularensis culture, serology and molecular diagnosis
- Enterohemorrhagic E. coli Stx1 and 2 and other virulence gene’s identification
- Mycoplasma culture and identification
- In vivo and in vitro synergy studies for antifungal susceptibility
- Investigation of antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral susceptibility of various chemicals and biologic substances
- Investigation biofilm mechanisms of several bacteria and Candida
- Cell culture and cytotoxicity tests
- In-house ELISA and kit development studies
- Also, Hybridoma laboratory has been established in our department and studies on producing hybridoma cells and monoclonal antibodies continue.
• Professor.Dr. Fetiye KOLAYLI (Head of the Department)